Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Build A Ladder To The Sky...

(from flickr)

Pastels & Beautifully Delusional Women


This week looks to be a nice one.
I'm working out harder,
I'm feeling creative again,
And I feel like I want to make things again,
which is always a goodly thing!
Hopefully I'll have some jewelry made soon.

For now, frillies!



This HBO film was brought to my attention as something I HAD to see in two ways! First, I read a rather fascinating article in Elle about the plot and the fabulous fashions contained within. Also, one of my closest friends here in Japan is the niece of Vivian Baker, who did all of Drew Barrymore’s makeup and prosthetics, and who happens to be up for two Emmy Awards thanks to this flick! So we had to have a viewing/pajama party when I bought the DVD, obviously.

Grey Gardens tells the story of Edith Bouvier Beale (Jessica Lange) and her daughter, also named Edith (Drew Barrymore)…Big Edie and Little Edie, respectively…the aunt and first cousin of Jackie Onassis. The film flashes back and forth between the days of Little Edie’s youth, when she was a stylish, wealthy debutante, and the late 70’s, when she and her mother are living in poverty in the crumbling remains of the family summer home, Grey Gardens. We see, over the course of the film, what brought them to this place, and what ultimately becomes of them.

After failing to make something of her art and the failure of her marriage, Big Edie retreats from society, hiding herself away in her house. After her first great heartbreak at the hands of a married man (when she knew she should have known better) and the return of her embarrassing alopecia (which causes ALL of Drew Barrymore’s hair to fall out), Little Edie allows herself to be dragged along into reclusion with her mother. The trust fund slowly runs out, the house begins to decay, the cats take over, and it isn’t until the Health Department raids the place that Jackie finds out exactly what has happened to her favorite cousin.

The themes of the film are, frankly, lovely. The complicated relationship between all mothers and daughters is illustrated in this drastic and unhealthy example, as well as what happens when we let fear and past failures get the better of us…again, in a very drastic way. Visually, it’s lovely as well! Even in their poverty, the Edies were known for being extremely stylish and avant-garde, and both actresses portray them brilliantly, as women who won’t admit that their lives have taken a downturn. And oh my lawd, Vivian definitely earned those Emmy nods. Drew looks drastically different, but not as if she even HAS a prosthetic on, which she does for the entire film. Later on, with her hair all having fallen out and her face covered in age spots, you catch yourself thinking she’s really let herself go. And the difference between young Jessica Lange and elderly Jessica Lange will take your breath away.

The film has a pleasantly happy ending, of a sort, with Little Edie finally overcoming her selfish fear of the world for the last few decades of her life, and you’re cheering for her. This film could be a downer for some, but overall, it speaks to the heart. We’ll be having another party Emmy Night, keep your fingers crossed for Vivian Baker!


~~~

Bat For Lashes released her newest video,
for one of my very favorite songs off of
Two Suns.
Oh Natasha Khan, you are so weird!
I love it! And because I do,
you all get to see it as well ;)




~~~

Wardrobe Project!

I give you the many faces of girly.





Super-Girly!
I'm rather enamored of these shoes.
The bow, while not suitable for
all occasions, makes my short hair happy.

Headband, Shoes, Top, Skirt: Japanese Mall
Necklace: Made By Moi
White Stockings: K-Mart :D
Belt: Old Navy



Many new clips!
I am prepping for when my hair
is once more blue.

Sunday Girly!

Top, Skirt: Forever21
Camisole: Maurice's
Stockings: K-Mart
Steve Madden Shoes: Payless



Is this red giraffe-print not DIVINE?!


Daily Girly!
Top, Skinny Jeans: Forever21
Shoes, AWESOME Red Bag: Japanese Mall
Hello Kitty Headband: Plato's Closet


Oh hai <.<


Next time, I hope to have some new
jewelry made to show off!
I've already started knitting again,
oh the domestic joys!

'Til Next We Meet,
♥,
~Amy






4 Comments:

Blogger LNA said...

Pretty things Amy. I especially love the hair, shoes and sunday girlie look. Very girly girl!

9:36 PM  
Blogger YubbyD said...

SHOES!! PURSE!!! Must have :P oh so girly :)

10:24 PM  
Blogger Andrew Ironwood said...

I am not just a little fond of Super-Girly meself...

[WORD VERIFICATION: claywfor, which is what some students say on their first day in Sculpture 101...]

5:01 AM  
Blogger Cammila said...

Those blue shoes are just delightful! And I adore the original Grey Gardens, I can't wait to see the new one!

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home