Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I Walk Down My Street Again...


Some Writing.



Prompts from Lorelle :)

"Write a story consisting of only dialogue, where two characters are trying to say something to eachother without ever actually saying it."

(short, two characters from a novel I am working on)

Laura: Do you remember what we used to say to people?

Alabaster: When they asked how we were related? I do believe we’ve used all of them.

Laura: You only got to be my son for a few years, really. Then you got bigger, and I stayed the same.

Alabaster: You were my big sister. Then my twin sister…then my kid sister…

Laura: And now I’ve spent the last ten years as your daughter, I know.

Alabaster: We had to move a lot, back then.

Laura: Yes. I really adored some of those little European towns.

Alabaster: not every kid got to have that experience.

Laura: Yes, I guess that’s true. Have you told Melinda yet?

Alabaster: Yes. She was surprisingly receptive!

Laura: Possibly also relieved, to find out that her fiancé doesn’t *actually* have an adult daughter her age.

Alabaster: Nope. Just a mother in law who’ll outlive her.

Laura: …right.

Alabaster: …She thinks it’s wonderful. Mysterious.

Laura: Right. They always do.

Alabaster: We know better, I know.

Laura: …You know that I…

Alabaster: Yes. I am too.

Laura: And that I…

Alabaster: Yes. Me too.

Laura: …it’s going to be a beautiful wedding.

Alabaster: Yes it will be.

Laura: One adventure we’ve never taken! And we’ve had some fabulous adventures, my boy.

Alabaster: Yes mother, we have.



~

"Write a poem dedicated to the house you grew up in. Do you have good memories there or bad memories? What are someof your favorite memories. This was completely inspired by Amanda Palmer"
Hello my ugly old friend
You of the stained yellow siding,
Haphazard shingles and boards
Shutters and shivering hordes
A haunted old thing
Full of nooks and crevasses
Funny that you felt like an escape.
Monolith lilac trees
Thoroughly grass-stained knees
The only good memories
Took place inside of you
Where I could hide in you
Get lost in my head full of dreams
My ideas and my rebeliousness
Never made that much sense
Not when you’re only nine
But I knew I was slightly off
Never the perfect model of poise and humility
And your haunted walls kept me safe
My secrets of war and escape
The games I played all alone
The only time I was home
Feral girl hiding in trees
Thoroughly roof-scratched knees
Throwing off calico
Climbing out my window
Wondering if god really cared
If I never ever cut my hair
Ghosts laughing at these notions with me
Tried to look just right
When daylight had gobbled the night
Til I ran down your roads
The hot pavement burning toes
Bare feet Tangled hair and Bed Sheets.
We used to drive by
When we’d return to the sky
There are beehives in your yard
Sucking nectar from my clovers
I used to do the same
Do the ghosts remember my name?
Little girl hiding
Ugly yellow siding
Faeries I couldn’t play with
Cornfields I got lost in
I hope they’re remembering to feed the ladybugs.



&hearts:,
~ Amy




6 Comments:

Blogger LNA said...

Amy you are quite the writer!

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I love reading these prompts...intrigued to read the story with Alabaster.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Adam Cecil said...

I enjoyed the dialouge. How far along in the novel are you?

9:56 AM  
Blogger Sarah Von Bargen said...

Ooooh, love the dialogue! I'm so intrigued!

10:07 PM  
Blogger ami said...

Hi, I just found your blog and I have to say I love your poem!

12:34 AM  
Blogger losile said...

Thanks for the feedback all!

The novel in question, I've had in my head for SO LONG. Since I was 18 in fact, and the characters have morphed and shifted since then, but generally the setting and themes stay the same...only recently, though, have I been able to make an actual plot work. I've got high hopes for finishing it this summer.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home