Saturday, April 04, 2009

Of Moving.

Moving and Things.

For the next seven days, I am to be preoccupied with all things related to having my possessions packed up by strangers, and leaving the country. For those unfamiliar with military moving, I will break it down in simple terms (see: the terms it had to be broken down into for me to understand). You bring ten forests' worth of paperwork to an office, proving that your spouse is stationed in a place, that you ARE their spouse, that you were cleared of all insects, tooth decay and diseases and approved to go to that place also, and maybe an I.O.U for the soul of your future first born, just to hedge your bets. They say, Okay. You pick some dates. On those dates, people you do not know pack up your belongings.

This is in fact a good thing, as this means they're responsible for anything that may go ill during shipment. It is no less a nerve-wrecking thing.

Our two shipments are thus: Express Shipment, and Everything Else.

The exact "expressness" of the former is to be debated, but it is 200 - 400 pounds of stuff that will get shipped via airplane once we have an address in Japan, while Everything Else (furniture, books, most of the stuffed animals...) gets to take the long floaty way.

So basically, I am charged with separating my belongings into 3 Categories: Things I Want Now (one suitcase), Things I Can Go Maybe Two Weeks Without, & Things I Can Go A Month Without.

As not to let myself go mad with panic, have written myself a detailed schedule of the next seven days, and it is in fact very relieving, much as I abhor lists and schedules. Must get this place spotless. Not that my apartment is messy, really. But think of it, girls. All the jewelry that doesn't quite go back in the box after every wear, the closet of doom, the pile of shoes, that random pile of cd cases the boy left in the corner... I don't have to pack, but I can't let there be excess hanging around either.

And then there is the clothing situation. ONE suitcase, the contents of which must weigh 50 pounds or less and last me at LEAST two weeks. TWO WEEKS. Granted, what with recent (lovely) reenlistment bonus and living in land of wonder, there will be plenty of shopping to be had in and around Tokyo. But STILL. Shoes enough for every occasion, while still leaving room for clothes...this may be the perfect chance to experiment with extremely limited denim-wearing.

Thus, a glimpse into my upcoming days. I can't help but stay upbeat, however. I'M FINALLY GOING. Huzzah.

Here's This,
Cause it's pretty and makes me smile.




And a final word
from Natalie Dee.



You know it to be true.
Now, off-time.
Star Trek, or more Lord Of The Rings?
The choices of the Geek...


♥,
Amy


5 Comments:

Blogger LNA said...

Very Impressive!! Now do that packing with a little boy that wakes up early and mixes cleaning products together for you. hehehee

We will miss you Amy!! You must get better are writing letters to your mum..

9:27 PM  
Blogger sophia said...

i'm so excited for youuuuu! i'll be thinking about you on your long journey and hope that you have minimal layovers and no missed flights!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Sarah Von Bargen said...

Good lord but that music video is awesome! I can´t believe I haven´t seen it before!

4:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your end images, the video was fantastic and the picture made me giggle.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Admit it: the real problem is going to be not only finding room for clothes, but room for books, movies, craft making supplies, and chocolate. How on earth are you going to manage all of that and the laptop too???

I can barely go away for two days without at least 3 books. How are you going to manage the plane trip. I suspect you'll have a very heavy carry on plus the laptop, plus a purse... Just remember to buy your snacks after you get through security.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home