Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"Death was his road to Awe."


The Fountain
2006, Darren Aronofsky
Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz

The Fountain is one of my very favorite films, but I've never felt I could really do it justice with a review. 20something viewings later, and I may be ready to give it a go! SPOILERY! This film tells the story of three men, all played by Hugh Jackman, all from different times, spanning 1000 years. One is a Spanish Conquistador, sent by his Queen Isabella (Rachel Weisz) to find the Tree of Life in Central America during the Inquisition. One is a present day Doctor, desperate to find a cure for his wife Izzy (also Rachel Weisz), an author who is dying due to a brain tumor. And the last is a space traveler, moving toward a dying star in a protective bubble surrounding a dying tree, trying to bring back his lost love (who is Rachel Weisz...sensing a pattern? Hmmm). The film flashes and melts between the three storylines, which are clearly intertwined but, I confess, I didn't really connect them fully until my second viewing.

All three characters miss a vital clue to their success, of course. The Conquistador misses the fact that even if he is successful, he and Isabella must die. The Doctor is so preoccupied with finding a cure, he misses what his wife is trying to tell him about faith and the afterlife, not to mention quality time with her in her last moments, in telling her last story. Through rich colors, breathtaking visuals and heartbreakingly wonderful acting, we see all three quests fail...until they intersect with each other across time and space, at which point, all three men are the same, all three quests are ultimately completed and together, the lovers do indeed live forever.

Even if you're utterly confused the first time through, I think everyone and their mother can grasp the concepts of love and loss that run through this beautiful movie. Every time I watch it, I find something new to latch onto and mull over. Before this film, I'd never seen Hugh Jackman in such a serious, emotional role, and it suits him. And of course, it's a pretty movie! It's like watching a painting on your tv screen, all in shades of gold and brown and light.


Creatively, not much to report at the mo, other than lots and lots of sewing! I'll grace you with a fashion shoot in a few days, I have a lot of hemming to do.

Also, I need a thimble...


♥,
~ Amy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home